|I served some rice with my naan sandwich. Because one can never have too many carbs.|
I used Wegmans brand plain naan for the sandwiches. I used Penzey's sweet curry powder for the chicken. It's their basic curry powder as opposed to their hot stuff. I used boneless skinless chicken breasts cut to the size of normal chicken cutlets since that's what I had in my freezer. Salting the grated apple helps get some of the moisture out so the raita isn't watery. I waited until the last minute to mix the apple into the raita. I found that the raita needed a little extra salt and pepper.
Curried Chicken Sandwiches with Apple Raita
1 Granny Smith apple
2 store bought naan breads
1/4 all purpose flour
1 Tbsp curry powder
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
2 chicken cutlets (or more if you want, the flour mix will cover more than just 2).
1 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup plain Greek yogurt (nonfat is ok)
1 jalapeno, stemmed, seeded, and minced
2 Tbsp chopped fresh mint
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
1) Prep work! Put your oven rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 400 F. While the oven is heating, peel the apple and grate it using the large holes of a cheese grater. Immediately toss with 1/4 tsp salt and place in a mesh strainer over a bowl. Let sit for 10 minutes.
2) Once the oven is heated, place naan on a baking sheet and bake until it's light golden brown and beginning to crisp, about 10 minutes (but check periodically to make sure it doesn't burn).
3) Mix the flour, curry powder, cayenne pepper, 1 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper on a plate or shallow dish. Heat the oil in a 12 inch nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Dredge the chicken slices in the flour mix, shaking off excess. Cook the chicken for about 2-3 minutes per side (or until done). Place the cooked chicken on a cutting board, tent with tin foil, and let sit for 5 minutes. Then slice the chicken on bias, crosswise, into 1/2 inch pieces.
4) Stir together the yogurt, apple, jalapeno, mint, ginger, and season with salt and pepper.
5) Either cut your naan in half or keep it whole and use a toothpick to hold it shut. Place the chicken slices on the naan and top with raita and serve.